1/7/08

Catstrings

You know how when you want something you don't have, you have so much fun working to get it, but how once you have it, you wonder why you wanted it in the first place? Pickup artists have a name for this situation - catstring theory. That's right - we're human kitty cats fascinated by a piece of string dangling just out of reach. Rather pathetic, really.

In any case, you're the string in this scenario. And you've just dropped yourself right in my lap. And boom. Just like that, you've lost your appeal. You're not interesting anymore. I don't want you like I did before. There's a lot of truth in the idea that it's the chase and the chase alone that makes relationships fun.

Besides, what do you even know about me? Yeah, I know you're aware that I've got a pretty face and a body to die for, but what's my last name? My favorite subject? The names of my two best friends? That's what I thought. For all we've talked over the past few weeks, we've only discussed you. You hate math, you draw more than you write, you're a visual thinker, you have a black lab and a welsh corgi, moved from California, and your favorite color is red. Mere scrapings from the wall of things I've learned about you. I'm more than a smile and a listening ear, nothing you would know anything about. And perhaps that's why you're so interested. I'm your catstring, and I'm hardly likely to simply drop into your lap.

No comments: