12/14/07

A Battle of Mind-Sets

I'd like to believe that people are essentially good. Sure, they screw up, they make mistakes, they do bad things. But at their core, everyone wants to do good things, for themselves, the people they love, their world. And that's all that matters, really.

This optimistic opinion somehow manages to co-habitate my mind along with hard-core cynicism. Don't ask me how it works, 'cause hell if I know who gets to use the bathroom first.

I believe that people are at least one of the following things. They're greedy, lazy, conceited, narcissistic, nymphomanic, eternally pessimistic, classically pissed off, chronically envious, impulsive liars, or (and) just plain ol' mean.

I'd LIKE to believe that people are good at their core, but reality seems determined to keep that particular bubble popped. Let's put the two on the actuality scales. Good intentions vs. that list. Hm. I wonder.... Yep, cynicism wins out.

No comments: