12/16/07

Christmas Spirit Cards

I just spent the past two hours writing out Christmas cards to people I barely know, and I think that this is what is meant by Christmas spirit. You see, I wrote things on these cards, little messages I've been yearning to send for eternities. And, if all I get in return is a 'thank you', I will be perfectly content.

I hope that I make a difference in these people's lives, even if it's only for the glowing moments in which they take in what I have to say. Even though I know that some people will dismiss my words as false sentiments, I pray that they do not. I want these virtual strangers to look at the phrases jammed into that half inch of space and know that I genuinely believe what I've written.

Maybe one of them will be more confident in herself, maybe another will decide to stop cutting. Perhaps still another will take comfort in knowing that someone thinks his relationship will succeed, and another hold on tighter to his dreams. Small things, big things. Whatever. Even if they believe only for that one moment in which their eyes caress the ending punctuation, the Christmas spirit in which the messages were sent will call to them forever.

No comments: